Monday, March 9, 2009

The changing landscape of Music Licensing

Hi All,

Its been a while since I posted to this blog but have not forgotten you. It is just that things are heating up in the music arena and I am trying to be in the middle of it.

So the question for the day is where is it all going?

This is my blog so I will just give you my perspective.

The way I see it record companies are on their way out as evidenced by the huge $2 billion write down from EMI last week. They will get smaller and support only acts that can be counted on to create an ROI. They may even be swallowed up by the likes of Live Nation in a effort to maximize all areas of monetization for an act ( Music sales, touring, and merchandise.

I currently see every label and publisher pressing to have their music licensed for media. You see this too I am sure. The down side for an indie is that they are starting to negotiate lower pricing and actually practice good customer service which has been missing for many years.

Also, after talking to many Music Supervisors my conclusion is that they are quickly getting tired of all the music solicitation and in need of a great music filtering service. This is the opportunity, and this is where MyMusicSource is currently working.

Please give me your comments, for/against, and ideas... how do we make this easier for the end user of our music?

More to come - Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment